Monday, September 3, 2007

NWA another black mark

NWA found another way to mess me up last week. Due to weather conditions at MSP, my normal Thursday afternoon commuter jet from YWG was cancelled. In of itself unfortunate, but these things happen, if they must (see below).
What got my goat was that NWA had rebooked me the next day, on such a convulted itinerary; leaving YWG at 6:20 am and arriving home at MCO at 17:45, via MSP & MEM. I called my travel agent to look for other alternatives, and although they could not do much better on other airlines, they did find me a 7:30 am out of YWG connecting to a direct flight to MCO. This meant that I would arrive at MCO at 14:45, about three hours earlier than the NWA proposed schedule.
After having the agent book these filghts, I called the NWA customer service line to check that they were OK with these changes, and to see if they knew why the more complicated segements had been booked in the first place. Of course, no one could explain the strange route.
As it is I decided to stay with the 6:20am departure, reasoning that it would be better to sit in MSP for a couple of hours, rather than having an extra hour or two of sleep but running the risk of a missed connection. I really neede to get home as this was the weekend that my wife was away in Europe, and the friend that were lokking in on our dogs were not expecting to do so through the weekend.
Of course, the question arises, how necessary was the cancellation of the flight? True there was some weather in MSP, but according to the FAA Fly.faa.gov site, delays at MSP were less than one hour. Could it be that the weather "situation" was used as an excuse, to save having to pay for hotels and meals, although the real reason was lack of capacity at MSP due to one of the major runways being resurfaced.

No comments: