Saturday, June 9, 2007

Pre-Flight information

As I often have to take connecting flights to reach my destination, I like to be aware of any delays as soon as possible. One way to be forewarned, is to find out the flight number of the incoming flight and use a flight tracking site. This way you can see if that incoming flight has left the previous stop on time, and so judge whether it will arrive at you location on time. This of course has an impact on whether your flight will leave on time, or not. Unfortunately it is not the only factor, but it is an obvious one.

Prior to leaving the office, I like to use FlightAware Flight Tracker. This site even allows you to be informed when your chosen flight files a flight plan. For commercial flights this is normally a couple of hours prior to departure (but can but up to as little as 30 minutes prior).

Outside of the office I use my cellphone, with the Flight Status program from www.andrewsoft.net. This excellent program retrieves and displays key flight information, as well as linking to a flight tracker mapping site.

No comments: